The Tapering Debate: Data and Tools
August 2, 2013
St. Louis Fed President James Bullard discussed the debate on tapering the Fed’s asset purchases at the 2013 Municipal Finance Conference, hosted by the Brandeis International Business School. He suggested that the FOMC needs to see more data on macroeconomic performance for the second half of 2013 before making a judgment on this matter.
Presentation (pdf) | Press Release
Related News Articles:
- Fed official says central bank should wait for more data before slowing bond purchases, by Martin Crutsinger, Associated Press Newswires.
- Fed's Bullard Urges Wait for 2nd-Half Data Before Tapering, by Steve Matthews and Tom Moroney, Bloomberg.
- Fed's Bullard: FOMC Needs More Data Before Tapering, by Gary Siegel, The Bond Buyer.
- Fed bank president cites missteps by policy makers, by Megan Woolhouse, The Boston Globe.
- President Of The St. Louis Fed Made A Fantastic Presentation About The Biggest Question Facing The Fed, by Steven Perlberg and Matthew Boesler, Business Insider.
- Fed's Bullard Wants More Data To Decide Taper Question, by Michael S. Derby, Dow Jones.
- Fed's Bullard says more data needed for stimulus tapering decision, by Jim Puzzanghera, Los Angeles Times.
- Fed's Bullard backs holding off on tapering: Wait to see if better data show up 'in months and quarters ahead,' by Greg Robb, MarketWatch.
- Fed's Bullard Audience Q&A: US Econ 'Seems Poised' For Growth, by Jerry Kronenberg, Market News International.
- Fed's Bullard / Media: July Jobs Report Is 'Basically Good News,' by Jerry Kronenberg, Market News International.
- Fed's Bullard: FOMC Need See Better Econ Data Before Tapering, by Steven K. Beckner, Market News International.
- Bullard: Fed should take wait and see approach before tapering, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard: drop in jobless a step closer to QE exit threshold, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard: U.S. economy looks poised for good growth, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Bullard says more info needed before Fed reduces bond buying, by Greg Edwards, St. Louis Business Journal.
- Bullard says Fed should wait on tapering, by David Nicklaus, St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Bullard cautious on taper, wants regular press conferences, Seeking Alpha.