Mission, Vision and Core Values
The Federal Reserve promotes a healthy economy and financial stability. We do this by:
- Pursuing maximum employment, stable prices, and moderate long-term interest rates in the U.S. economy;
- Promoting the stability of the financial system and seeking to minimize and contain systemic risks through active monitoring and engagement;
- Ensuring the safety and soundness of individual financial institutions and monitoring their impact on the financial system as a whole;
- Fostering payment and settlement system safety and efficiency through services to the banking industry and the U.S. Treasury that facilitate U.S.-dollar transactions and payments; and
- Promoting consumer protection and community development.
The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis strives to excel through bold leadership, innovative thinking and research, and superior products and services. The Bank will achieve its vision by demonstrating four defining qualities:
- Anticipating and tackling emerging issues
- Challenging prevailing views to drive change
- Transforming ideas into innovative solutions
- Serving with passion, integrity and purpose
The core values that guide the St. Louis Fed’s organizational decisions and employees’ actions are:
- Commitment to the Public Interest: We serve the public and our constituents with passion, purpose and stewardship.
- Integrity: We operate according to the highest ethical standards.
- Independent Thinking: We challenge conventional views and offer alternative solutions to improve decision-making.
- Inclusion: We thrive as a diverse organization and rely on the diversity and unique contributions of others to create superior business results.
- Innovation: We excel through experimentation and generating new ideas that lead to continuous improvement as well as transformational solutions.
- Personal Leadership: We support and inspire each other as we tackle emerging issues and advance the Bank’s priorities.