An Update on the Tapering Debate
August 15, 2013
St. Louis Fed President James Bullard revisited the debate on tapering the Fed's asset purchases during a Breakfast with the Fed event sponsored by the Bank's Louisville Branch. He also discussed the importance of having a press conference after each FOMC meeting instead of after every other meeting, as is the case now.
Presentation (pdf) | Press Release
Related News Articles:
- Bullard Says Higher Yields Unlikely to Hurt Growth, by Steve Matthews, Bloomberg.
- Bullard Says Below-Target Inflation Warrants Fed Stimulus, by Steve Matthews, Bloomberg.
- Bullard Reiterates Need to See More Data, by Gary Siegel, The Bond Buyer.
- St. Louis Fed chief talks bond buying, Business First.
- Bullard warns weak inflation may put brakes on QE tapering, Central Banking Journal.
- Fed's Bullard: Inflation 'Naturally' Rising Toward Target, by Karen Mracek, Market News International.
- St. Louis Fed's Bullard: Inflation Still Low, by Karen Mracek, Market News International.
- Fed's Bullard says sees no sign of major asset bubble in U.S., by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Bullard - new Fed chair will preserve policy continuity, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard: housing strong enough to overcome higher yields, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard Floats Idea of Small Cuts to Bond Buying - Measured Reduction in Purchases Would Be Important Market Signal, The Wall Street Journal.
Similar remarks were also given in Paducah, Kentucky on August 14, 2013.
News articles related to the August 14, 2013, presentation:
- Bullard Says Important for Fed to Defend 2% Inflation Target, by Steve Matthews, Bloomberg.
- Fed's Bullard Urges Caution With Too-Optimistic Forecasts, by Steve Matthews, Bloomberg.
- Fed's Bullard: Need More Data Before Deciding to Scale Back QE, by Victoria McGrane, Dow Jones.
- Fed's Bullard Has Seen 'Substantial Improvement' in Labor Market, by Victoria McGrane, Dow Jones.
- Fed's Bullard: Seeing Clear Improvement in Labor Markets, by Karen Mracek, Market News International.
- Fed's Bullard: Still Need More Data Before Tapering, by Karen Mracek, Market News International.
- Bullard: Premature taper could increase threat of deflation, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard advocates caution in tapering bond buying, by Alister Bull, Reuters.
- Fed's Bullard stays cautious, was too optimistic on GDP, by Greg Edwards, St. Louis Business Journal.
- St. Louis Federal Reserve President 'Fed Policy Has Been in Flux,' by John Paul Henry, WKMS.