Bunny Money Lesson for Grades K-1
In this lesson, students listen to the story of Ruby and Max, two bunnies that go shopping and make many spending decisions. They are introduced to short-term and long-term savings goals to help them save for the goods they want in the future. After a goal-sorting activity, students choose and illustrate their own savings goal.
- Lesson (pdf)
- Google Classroom
- Whiteboard (SMART/notebook)
- Whiteboard (ActivInspire/flipchart)
- Supplemental Math Activity
- Q&A (pdf)
This lesson plan is designed for teaching grades K and 1.
Book written by Rosemary Wells / ISBN: 978-0-14-056750-2. This book is in print and available.
Grades 1 and 2 English Language Arts Standards--Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.1.1, RL.2.1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- RL.1.3, RL.2.3. Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.1.7, RL.2.7. Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- SL.1.2, SL.2.2. Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
Grades 1 and 2 Mathematics & Algebraic Thinking
- Add and subtract within 20.
- 1.OA.2, 2.OA.2. Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
- Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 1.OA.4.Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem. For example, subtract 10 – 8 by finding the number that makes 10 when added to 8. Add and subtract within 20.
If you have difficulty accessing this content due to a disability, please contact us at 314-444-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.