Soar to Savings Online Module for Teachers and Students
Soar to Savings provides tips for saving and describes the impact of individual saving on the overall economy. As a result of this module, students will have a better understanding of opportunity cost, interest, down payments, and financial investment.
- Preview the Soar to Savings Online Module.
- Visit the Econ Lowdown Teacher Portal to register your students for one or more of our online modules.
- Learn more about Econ Lowdown and watch a tutorial.
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Identify key reasons to save.
- Recognize opportunity costs to both saving and spending.
- Recognize the power of compound interest for increasing savings balances over time.
- Use the Rule of 72 to calculate compound interest.
- Recognize that interest rates create incentives for lenders and borrowers.
- Explain the role of financial intermediaries and financial markets.
- Explain the difference between stocks and bonds.
- Explain how the supply of and demand for loanable funds determines interest rates.
- Recognize that national savings equals investment in a closed economy.
- Explain the paradox of thrift.
- Recognize that the U.S. Government finances deficit spending through the sale of U.S. Treasury securities.
- Explain that government debt can crowd out the supply of loanable funds and affect interest rates.
If you have difficulty accessing this content due to a disability, please contact us at 314-444-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.