In this lesson, students listen to a story about Beatrice, a little girl from Uganda, who receives a goat and the impact of that goat on her family. They learn what it means to save and use estimation to decide whether or not people have enough money to reach a savings goal. They also work through a set of problems requiring that they identify how much additional money people must save to reach their goals. Students learn what opportunity cost is and identify the opportunity costs of savings decisions made by Beatrice and her family.
• Lesson (pdf)
• Whiteboard (ActivInspire/flipchart)
• Whiteboard (SMART/notebook)
This lesson plan is designed for teaching grades 3, 4, and 5.
Book written by Page McBrier / ISBN: 0-689-82460-2. This book is available in print and electronic format.
Common Core Standards
Grades 1 through 5 English Language Arts Standards--Reading: Literature
Grades 1 through 5 English Language Arts Standards--Speaking and Listening
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.2.1, RL.3.1,RL.4.1. Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.2.2, RL.3.2, RL.4.2. Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text.
- RL.2.3, RL.3.3, RL.4.3. Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’s thoughts, words, or actions).
Grade 2 Mathematics--Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- SL.2.1, SL.3.1, SL.4.1. Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 4 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- SL.2.2, SL.3.2, SL.4.2. Paraphrase portions of a text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- 2.OA.1. Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Grades 3 and 4 Mathematics--Number & Operations in Base Ten
- Add and subtract within 20.
- 2.OA.2. Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- 3.NBT.2, 4.NBT.4. Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
- 2.NBT.5. Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.NBT.6. Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
If you have difficulty accessing this content due to a disability, please contact us at 314-444-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.