Skip to content

Pieces of Eight: News Bulletins from the Eighth Federal Reserve District

Thursday, October 1, 1998

No, It's Not Monopoly™ Money

If you've been to an ATM lately, you may have done a double take when you took the cash from the dispenser. That's because on Sept. 24, a redesigned $20 bill began circulating, joining the $50 and $100 "new look" notes that made their debut the two previous years. "Old" $20 bills will remain in circulation until they wear out.

Like the other revamped bills, the new $20 has several security features designed both to thwart would-be counterfeiters and make it easier for consumers and business people to spot counterfeit currency. The most noticeable change to the note is the enlarged, off-center portrait of President Andrew Jackson. Other enhanced security features include: a watermark, microprinting and color-shifting ink.

Get used to seeing the new bills: Redesigned $10, $5 and $1 notes will be introduced in the next few years.

Building a Better Bond

An age-old investment device has just been made one better. On Sept. 1, the U.S. Department of the Treasury began selling Series I (Eye) savings bonds, which are indexed for inflation.

The I bonds have a fixed return rate of 3.40 percent and an inflation rate of 1.26 percent, giving them a combined earnings rate of 4.66 percent. The fixed return rate remains the same for the life of the bond, while the inflation rate will be recalculated every six months, in May and November. As with the Treasury's Series EE (non inflation-indexed) bonds, tax payments on Series I bond earnings can be deferred until the bond is redeemed.

The Series I bonds will be sold at face value in denominations of $50, $75, $100, $500, $1,000 and $5,000, with $200 and $10,000 denominations to follow in 1999. Series EE bonds are sold at 50 percent of face value. Both types of savings bonds are available for purchase through commercial financial institutions and payroll savings plans.

For current bond rates, dial 1-800-4-US-BOND.

District "Sin Tax" Payers Get Off Cheap: Alcohol and Tobacco State Tax Revenue per Capita, 1996

District State Rank among States Per Capita Sin Taxes
Tennessee 12 $48.45
Missouri 28 40.51
Kentucky 34 34.96
Arkansas 42 28.21
Mississippi 43 25.99
Indiana 47 20.46
Illinois 48 20.45
National Average   $41.57

SOURCE: U.S. Bureau of the Census

Commenting Policy: We encourage comments and discussions on our posts, even those that disagree with conclusions, if they are done in a respectful and courteous manner. All comments posted to our blog go through a moderator, so they won't appear immediately after being submitted. We reserve the right to remove or not publish inappropriate comments. This includes, but is not limited to, comments that are:
  • Vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise disrespectful or discourteous
  • For commercial use, including spam
  • Threatening, harassing or constituting personal attacks
  • Violating copyright or otherwise infringing on third-party rights
  • Off-topic or significantly political
The St. Louis Fed will only respond to comments if we are clarifying a point. Comments are limited to 1,500 characters, so please edit your thinking before posting. While you will retain all of your ownership rights in any comment you submit, posting comments means you grant the St. Louis Fed the royalty-free right, in perpetuity, to use, reproduce, distribute, alter and/or display them, and the St. Louis Fed will be free to use any ideas, concepts, artwork, inventions, developments, suggestions or techniques embodied in your comments for any purpose whatsoever, with or without attribution, and without compensation to you. You will also waive all moral rights you may have in any comment you submit.
comments powered by Disqus

The St. Louis Fed uses Disqus software for the comment functionality on this blog. You can read the Disqus privacy policy. Disqus uses cookies and third party cookies. To learn more about these cookies and how to disable them, please see this article.