Students learn about opportunity cost, saving, savings goals and a savings plan by reading The Pickle Patch Bathtub. Students will develop savings plans that lead to their own savings goals.
• Lesson (pdf)
• Whiteboard (SMART/notebook)
• Whiteboard (ActivInspire/flipchart)
• Q&A (pdf)
Parents, view the Q&A using The Pickle Patch Bathtub.
Common Core Standards
Grades 1-5 English Language Arts Standards--Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.3.1, RL.4.1. Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.5.2. Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- RL.3.3, RL.4.3. Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’s thoughts, words, or actions).
Grades 1-5 English Language Arts Standards--Writing
- Text Types and Purposes
- W.4.2, W.5.2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
- a. Introduce a topic clearly, provide a general observation and focus, and group related information logically; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
- W.3.3, W.4.3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
- c. Use a variety of transitional words and phrases to manage the sequence of events.
- Production and Distribution of Writing
- W.4.4, W.5.4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1–3 above.)
This lesson plan is designed for teaching grades 3, 4, and 5.
Book written by Frances Kennedy / ISBN: 1-58246-112-0. This book is out of print but is available used.
If you have difficulty accessing this content due to a disability, please contact us at 314-444-4662 or email@example.com.