The Pickle Patch Bathtub Lesson for Grades 3-5
Students learn about opportunity cost, saving, savings goals and a savings plan by reading The Pickle Patch Bathtub. Students will develop savings plans that lead to their own savings goals.
Common Core Standards
Grades 1-5 English Language Arts Standards--Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.3.1, RL.4.1. Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.5.2. Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- RL.3.3, RL.4.3. Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’s thoughts, words, or actions).
Grades 1-5 English Language Arts Standards--Writing
- Text Types and Purposes
- W.4.2, W.5.2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
- a. Introduce a topic clearly, provide a general observation and focus, and group related information logically; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
- W.3.3, W.4.3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
- c. Use a variety of transitional words and phrases to manage the sequence of events.
- Production and Distribution of Writing
- W.4.4, W.5.4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1–3 above.)
This lesson plan is designed for teaching grades 3, 4, and 5.
Book written by Frances Kennedy / ISBN: 1-58246-112-0. This book is out of print but is available used.
Braille and Talking Book versions are available via the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled. Library of Congress catalogue numbers are provided for accessible versions. The books can be accessed through BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download). The book is available in Talking Book LCCN 2015992895.
If you have difficulty accessing this content due to a disability, please contact us at 314-444-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.