Treasury Ending Paper U.S. Savings Bonds
Saturday, October 1, 2011
Starting Jan. 1, 2012, the Treasury will only issue electronic versions of U.S. savings bonds. Visit the Treasury’s web site at www.treasurydirect.gov to:
- buy, manage and redeem Series EE and I electronic savings bonds;
- convert Series EE and I paper savings bonds to electronic through the SmartExchange feature;
- purchase electronic savings bonds as gifts;
- enroll in a payroll savings plan for purchasing electronic bonds; and
- invest in other Treasury securities such as bills, notes, bonds and TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities).
According to the Bureau of Public Debt, ending paper bonds will save taxpayers approximately $70 million over the first five years.