Treasury Ending Paper U.S. Savings Bonds
Starting Jan. 1, 2012, the Treasury will only issue electronic versions of U.S. savings bonds. Visit the Treasury’s web site at www.treasurydirect.gov to:
- buy, manage and redeem Series EE and I electronic savings bonds;
- convert Series EE and I paper savings bonds to electronic through the SmartExchange feature;
- purchase electronic savings bonds as gifts;
- enroll in a payroll savings plan for purchasing electronic bonds; and
- invest in other Treasury securities such as bills, notes, bonds and TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities).
According to the Bureau of Public Debt, ending paper bonds will save taxpayers approximately $70 million over the first five years.